Europe after Brexit. How will it effect holidays?

  • by

Travelling in Europe after Brexit

There are things that you will need to do to visit Europe after Brexit. The main things are to get travel insurance that covers you for healthcare, check that you have the correct Passport & driving licence if you wish to drive while on holiday. If you are travelling with a pet you must organise pet travel by contacting your vet 4 months before you go.

Click here for specific travel advice for the country you’re visiting, laws and customs, and money.

Does your passport need renewing?

You may need to renew your British passport early if you’re travelling within Europe after Brexit.

British passports must now have at least 6 month validity period and be less than 10 years old from the day of travel. These must both be met in order to travel in Europe after Brexit. This includes travel to EU countries as well as Iceland, Switzerland and Norway.

Remember, it usually only takes about 3 weeks to renew, however, you can pay for a premium service to have this done quicker if needed.

This does not apply to Ireland. You will still be able to travel to Ireland as long as your passport is valid for the length of your stay.

Make sure you have health insurance

Your EHIC (health insurance card) may no longer be valid. This car usually covers you for existing medical conditions. Make sure you get the correct travel insurance that will also cover you for pre-existing conditions. 

Click here for travel insurance quotes and find out what is included in the policy.

Are you planning on driving in Europe?

To continue to be able to drive in Europe after Brexit you will need some extra documents. You will need a IDP (international driving permit) to drive in some countries. You can find this information on the post offices website,

If you plan to cross borders and drive your own vehicle your will also need a green card which can take about 4-6 weeks to get from your car insurance company. You will also need a GB sticker.

Do I need any further travel documents for flights?

You can continue to use flights, ferries, Eurostar and coaches as normal after Brexit. No further document is currently required. There will be very few changes with border security and you should not encounter and delays. At border security, they may ask for proof on an onward ticket, proof of funds to cover your journey and you might need to use separate lanes when queuing.

Travelling with Pets

After Brexit you will no longer be able to use your existing per passport. You will need to contact your vet at least 4 months before travelling so that they can arrange the new procedure. 

After Brexit you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme. You can find information about pet travel to Europe after Brexit on the website,

Do I need a Visa to travel after Brexit?

According to the European Commission proposal, you will not need a visa to travel within Europe for short trips. A short trip is defined as no longer than 90 days within a 180 day period.

You may need visas / permits to stay for longer, working and student visas may also apply. These will depend on the countries you are visiting. These rules have not yet been confirmed.

Mobile data roaming

The use of free mobile data roaming within Europe, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland will unfortunately come to and end. We recommend checking with your mobile network to find out about roaming charges after 31 October 2019. A new law does state that mobile networks can not charge you more than £45 for mobile data without you agreeing to it. You will be notified if your bill gets to £45 for this service and you will need to opt in to receiving / paying more.

How much money can I bring abroad?

You will now need to declare cash amounts of £10,000 or more. Businesses must also declare goods that they might be travelling with.